Mar 12, 2008

My First Novel: Chapter 2

Previous: Chapter 1

2

I was not able to sleep that night and soon enough the bright rays of the sun woke me up. I sat upon my bed still sleepy. Today won’t be an eventful day, I thought, as I knew the day would be fully dedicated to unpacking. So without thinking anymore I left my bed.

After getting dressed I trudged downstairs to the living room where a small table, along with three chairs, stood. That was our temporary dining table. Dad, as usual, was behind the newspaper, but, ‘fully’ unusually, he was ‘fully’ dressed in office clothes! As soon as I settled in a chair, Mom appeared from the kitchen with a plate full of sliced bread and a slab of butter, which was still unopened!

“Good morning, Jeet,” Mom greeted me as she hurried up to the table and placed the plate on it and again bustled back to the kitchen. Dad kept aside the paper (which was two weeks old as we hadn’t subscribed for the newspaper yet!) as soon as he heard the slam of the plate being kept. He picked up two slices of bread and stuffed it into his mouth along with a spoonful of butter after tearing the butter-cover into shreds, picked up his suitcase kept beside the table and ran towards the door yelling, “I’m going.”

I was stunned and rooted to the chair by the sudden change in my father’s character! Dad was usually a silent-type of person, who did not know the meaning of time, who took an hour to coat a single slice of bread with butter! The change was so incredible that it took some time for me to gather myself! I finished my breakfast and went inside the kitchen to help Mom.

“Mom, can I help you?” I asked. “No, I'm fine. Why don't you go and take a ride around the neighbourhood?” Mom suggested. I was thrilled by the suggestion and ran to the backyard, which was large and was dumped with a large number of unpacked boxes. After a lot of search I finally found my bicycle hidden behind two big boxes.


Next: Chapter 3

No comments: