May 25, 2008

My First Novel: Chapter 5


5

The sun was slowly and slowly being hidden behind the distant mountains. I got up from my chair and headed for the balcony adjoining my bedroom. As soon as I opened the balcony-door, the golden evening light burst into the room. I walked up to the railing and rested my elbows on it. The houses were a pleasant golden-yellow colour painted by the dying sun. The breeze carried a promise of rain. Clouds were visible again in the far horizon. Stars were beginning to appear in the evening sky. The moon was also visible but it looked insignificant in the golden sky.

People were walking up and down the road - evening walk. Suddenly a thought struck me. I had nothing to do, so how about a pleasant evening walk!

I ran downstairs, excited. Mother was fidgeting with the newly uncovered sofa. “Mom, can I go for an evening walk?” I asked. “Okay, but come back before dinner-time,” mother answered, without even looking back at me. I ran across the living room and bustled out of our ‘strange’ blue door.

The cool breeze outside welcomed me. I felt rejuvenated. My mood was fine again! I looked up and down the road. Most people were jogging down the road. But my choice was a little different. I began jogging up the road towards the ‘familiar’ hills.


Next: Chapter 6

No comments: