May 30, 2008

My First Novel: Chapter 6

Previous: Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5


6

In the morning when I had last visited the hills I hadn’t taken much note of the road or the town, as the bliss of riding a bike with the breeze striking your face is distracting. But now the surroundings looked more impressive. Though the street was devoid of cars, I jogged along the footpath. There were big trees planted at regular intervals on the footpath. The street was well maintained with strategically placed dustbins. Nearly all the houses had beautiful gardens. Beautiful flowers, some known, some unknown adorned the flowerbeds of the gardens. Every flower now looked golden because of the setting sun. Some houses also had small garages.

Soon I reached the bridge. I stopped jogging and leaned on the rope railing as the wooden planks underneath my feet creaked. Everything was much clearer than it seemed last night. The river, which originated from the snow-capped mountains, flowed below. The bridge hung over the ravine between the town and the hill, cut out by the river. One side of the bridge looked upon the valley, which looked much nearer now (I wondered why). The waterfall could be seen more clearly from here.

I suddenly noticed that the sun had set and the stars were now quite bright. And so was the moon, shining above. The moonlight fell on the waterfall and made it look very mystic. I stood there enjoying the pleasing music around. The soft gurgling of the river beneath was a contrast to the faint roar of the faraway waterfall. The stars also looked enchanted by the soft melodious atmosphere.

In a little while I was again jogging towards the hill. The school came in view in a very short time. The silvery light of the moon had lightened up the school in a silvery paint. It looked beautiful! I jogged up further till the meadow came in sight. The grassy field now looked very different. It now had its own charm!

The hills all around looked pleasant. The faraway mountains were not visible anymore. It had mingled with the dark, deep-blue night sky. The darkness had crept over the valley and it looked soothing. The lake beneath was reflecting the moon. The moon glistened along with the stars in the middle of the lake; while on the other side of the valley the swift-flowing river frantically mirrored it. It looked as though a colossal diamond was shining and a river of pearls was flowing across a greenish heaven.

I sat on the grass in the open. The earth was breathing heavily, hot with fatigue, whilst the wind tried to cool it down. The oak tree looked like a tree of precious gems as the moonlight reflected off the leaves, watered by the evening dew.

I laid flat on my back looking up at the sky. Numerous stars, blinking down at me, studded the sky. The moon was right at the middle of the sky in between the twinkling stars. Faint white strokes of the Milky Way also streaked the sky. I tried to join the stars and weave them into artistic patterns and shapes. After I failed many times, I tried to amuse myself by finding earthly shapes in the white strokes. It felt foolish but as long as no one came there, it was fun!


Next: Chapter 7

No comments: